Visa Requirements

The Abbey DLD Group of Colleges comprises of Abbey College Cambridge, DLD College London and Abbey College Manchester. Most international students wishing to join one of our Abbey DLD colleges will require a student visa for the duration of their study.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) is the division of the Home Office responsible for issuing visas to visit, study, and stay in the United Kingdom.

Abbey DLD colleges can sponsor students under both the Child Student and Student visa routes.

We can provide you with expert visa advice and assistance on both visa types, and we have successfully helped to guide hundreds of students, parents and agents through the visa application process.

The visa you need to apply for can depend on many things including your age, your chosen course and how long you will be studying with us. Applying for a visa can be difficult, but our experienced admissions team will be able to help guide you through the process.

Below you can find links to the official Home Office website for each type of visa, and a couple of the most commonly asked questions.



Students under the age of 18 looking to study all courses offered at Abbey DLD Colleges except for Foundation courses.


You do not require an English qualification for visa purposes, but the college will ask for evidence of English language as part of your college application to determine the best course of study for you.



Students aged 18 years and over looking to study all courses offered at Abbey DLD Colleges except for GCSE. Students under the age of 18 looking to study Foundation also need to apply for a Student Visa.


If you are a new student who has never studied in the UK before, you will need an official IELTS result showing a UKVI number from a test that has been taken at a Secure English Language Test (SELT) centre. However, if you have previously studied in the UK, you may be exempt from this requirement.

If you have proven the required English level in a previous application for a UK Visa, then you will not need to provide an additional English qualification.

Please contact the college you are applying to for further details.

Once you have been successfully enrolled, your college will provide you with a ‘Visa Application Guide’. If you are applying for Child Student or Student visa, you will also be issued with a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) Number by the college.

You will then be ready to apply for your visa using the online visa application form and will most likely be required to submit supporting documents that provide evidence of your identity, academic qualifications and also of your ability to fund your studies in the UK. These include:

  • Your passport
  • Any previous passports
  • Parental letter of consent signed by your parents – template provided by the college
  • Academic evidence – this will be listed on your CAS
  • Evidence of funds such as bank statements – the college will provide examples and confirmation of funds necessary for visa application

Our Admissions Team will also request to see the copies of your supporting visa documents in order to check them to ensure they meet UKVI requirements.

The above information provides a brief insight into the visa application process. When you apply Abbey DLD staff will provide you with more detailed advice and guidance on your individual application.

For more information on visa applications, types of visa and documents required, please refer to the Home Office website.

Abbey Manchester
Taster Morning, Wednesday 12th June