Visa Requirements

The Abbey DLD colleges can sponsor students under both the Tier 4 Child and Tier 4 General visa routes and we also accept students on Short-Term Study visas for shorter courses. We can provide you with expert visa advice and assistance on all of these visa types and have successfully helped to guide hundreds of students, parents and agents through the visa application process.

The visa you need to apply for can depend on many things including your age, your chosen course and how long you will be studying with us. Applying for a visa can be difficult but our experienced International Admissions Team will be able to help you through the process.

Below you can find links to the official Home Office website for each type of visa, and a couple of the most commonly asked questions.

Tier 4 Child Visa –

Who can apply?

Students under the age of 18 looking to study all courses offered at Abbey DLD Colleges except for Foundation courses.

Do I need an English qualification?

You do not require an English qualification for visa purposes, but the college will ask for evidence of English language as part of your college application to determine the best course of study for you.

Tier 4 General Visa –

Who can apply?

Students aged 18 years and over looking to study all courses offered at Abbey DLD Colleges except for GCSE. Students under the age of 18 looking to study Foundation also need to apply for a Tier 4 General visa.

Do I need an English qualification?

If you are a new student who has never studied in the UK before, you will need an official IELTS result showing a UKVI number from a test that has been taken at a Secure English Language Test (SELT) centre. However if you have previously studied in the UK, you may be exempt from this requirement. Please contact the college for further details.

Short-term Study Visa –

Who can apply?

Students of any age looking to join a course that is less than six-months long.

Do I need an English qualification?

No, but you may be required to submit other academic documents, confirmation of your course and/or your official letter of acceptance from the college once you have been successfully enrolled.

Once you have been successfully enrolled, your college will provide you with a ‘Visa Application Guide’. If you are applying for a Tier 4 Child or Tier 4 General visa, you will also be issued with a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) Number by the college.

You will then be ready to apply for your visa using the online visa application form and will most likely be required to submit supporting documents that provide evidence of your identity, academic qualifications and also of your ability to fund your studies in the UK. These include:

  • Your passport
  • Any previous passports
  • Two recent, colour passport photographs
  • Parental letter of consent signed by your parents – template provided by the college
  • Academic evidence – this will be listed on your CAS
  • Evidence of funds such as bank statements – the college will provide examples and confirmation of funds necessary for visa application

The Admissions Team will also request to see the copies of your supporting visa documents in order to check them to ensure they meet UKVI requirements.

The above information provides a brief insight into the visa application process and when you apply Abbey DLD staff will provide you with more detailed advice and guidance on your individual application. For more information on visa applications, types of visa and documents required, please refer to the Home Office website.

Abbey Manchester
Join us in January!

Abbey College Manchester is offering a range of high-quality A-level, GCSE, Foundation and

many more academic programs for students looking to start their studies in January.